Seekh Kebabs In A Pan - By "Aromas And Flavors"
My earliest Sheekh kebab memory is from my childhood when dad used to drive me to a tiny waterfront kebab joint which served the tastiest kebabs in town.I don’t think there were any other kebab joints back then, at least none that I knew of. Like it is popularly said, the first impression is always the best. It was a drive-in kind of place, where you could park your car right next to the charcoal grill and watch your kebabs and the flaky rotis(flatbreads)being made.The delicious aromas, the sizzling sounds and the view of serene water made it all a beautiful experience. Ever since I have tasted delectable Sheekh kebabs at fancy restaurants in different places, but for me…. those at the waterfront joint with my dad were by far…. the best.
As I grew up I did try making Seekh kebabs at home, but then it was a cumbersome process setting up the charcoal grill. To add to the woes, midway through the grilling, the meat would mischievously fall off the skewers (seekh) right on the hot coals. And grilling them in the oven never gave the results I was expecting.I almost gave up on the idea of making Seekh kebabs at home until I got to an ultimate, no fuss recipe which can be easily made in a pan and produces the most succulent, flavorful and melts in the mouth kebabs…….after all isn’t that exactly how Seekh kebabs should be. The best part of the recipe is that you can make the dough, press them on individual wooden skewers and store in the freezer. All you have to do is that just as many you want to use.
If you have been hunting for a delicious, tried and tested easy to make Sheekh kebab recipe, you are on the right page. Scroll down to note or print it.
All good dishes have a basic requirement….good quality and fresh ingredients.Meat especially has to be fresh and tender. Even a hint of staleness can ruin the entire recipe. There is a local online store Fish & Meat which delivers a variety of seafood and meats right to your doorstep. They graciously sent me a packet of lamb mince to review. The mince was absolutely fresh, tender, finely cut and neatly packed, just how I wanted for my recipe. If you are in and around Hyderabad, you must check their website. The wide variety of seafood available is quite impressive. The best part is each and every item comes well cleaned and in a variety of cuts.
Sheekh kebabs in a Pan
- Servings: 12-15
Ingredients Set 1
- 750 g lamb mince
- 3 onions grated and fried crisp
- salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1-2 tsp. red chili powder
- 1 tbsp. ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp. garam masala powder(3 cloves, 3 cardamoms, 3 cinnamon sticks)
- juice of 1 big or 2 medium lemons
- 2 heaped tbsp. kababchini powder
- 2-inch peel of a raw green papaya blended to a paste
Ingredients Set 2
- 1/2 to 1 cup Roasted split gram(Phule chane/Phutane)powder
- Oil as needed(1/2 to 1 cup)
- Wash and clean the lamb mince. Leave it in a strainer for half an hour till there is not a drop of water left in it.
- Soak 12-15 wooden skewers in water so that they don’t burn while frying.
- Blitz all the ingredients from set 1 along with the mince.
- Add the roasted gram powder little by little until you form a smooth but firm dough.
- Take a lemon sized ball of dough and press into shape on the wooden skewer.
- Repeat the process until the dough lasts.
- Rest in the fridge for at least an hour.
- Take a flat non-stick pan and put 2 tablespoons oil.
- Place the meat skewers in medium hot oil and turn when they are red at the bottom.
- Flip and fry the other side.
- The frying process should not take more than 5 minutes in all because the papaya skin tenderizes the meat and it takes very little time to cook. If you leave it longer the meat can become tough.
- If you cannot find a raw papaya you can use any other meat tenderizer. Though the taste is best when you use papaya skin.
- Serve with mint chutney, slices of onion, lemon wedges and flaky parathas.
- Enjoy delicious seekh kebabs with your family.
Wasn’t that easy? Go ahead and surprise your family and friends with this exotic and delicious starter.